OUR GALLERY

ABOUT US


Sri Pratap Higher Secondary

Our school has a long and prestigious history of 141 years at its back. The school was established long back in 1874 AD. Ranbir Singh was the first Dogra ruler who took personal interest in the advancement of education in the State of Jammu and Kashmir. In 1874, two schools were opened in the twin cities of Jammu and Srinagar. The schools were named as Ranbir High School Jammu and Srinagar Middle School. The Srinagar Middle School was having only a few primary subjects of Sanskrit and Persian, however not as a regular system. The subjects were taught in the same way as in Maktabs and Chat halls. There was a separate department of teaching Arabic to Muslim students. In 1883 there were 450 boys on its roll. It was with the advent of the reign of Sri Pratap Singh of Jammu and Kashmir in 1885 AD that the modern education in the State took shape and the expansion of education steadily continued in his time. Dr. A.K. Mitra (Superintendent of Schools) known as the father of education in Kashmir, zealously worked for the upliftment of Kashmiris and raised the status of Srinagar Schools to a full fledged Anglo Vernacular School, introducing English and Imparting instructions according to Panjab University Curriculum. In 1891, the school was raised the status of Srinagar High School and was later on called Sri Pratap High School.